Thursday, March 1, 2012

And this is why I'll never amount to anything

So Sunday morning I ran my first half marathon. My goal was to finish. I would have liked to finish in under three hours, and ended up crossing at 3:01:09 according to the race time. My calculations have me finishing around 2:55 but I'm not that concerned. I stopped three times to use the bathroom (my bladder is the size of a raisin) and I typically run around a 11-12 minute mile. My average pace was 13:30.

I didn't train.
 In October I ran a 10k. Since October, the longest I ran was 3 miles. The weeks leading up to the race, I barely ran 3 miles a week. I am the world's largest procrastinator.
 I sometimes wish that I would get bit on the rear end by my procrastination, just so I would learn my lesson.

In college I would write papers the night, or even the morning before they were due. My junior year I wrote a 10 page paper in 2 hours sitting outside in the sun chatting with friends and drinking, and got an A. I work well under pressure even though I know I should plan ahead. I get really angry at myself; but when you get As on papers and are still able to finish a half marathon, it is hard to be that upset.

I ran the first 8 miles, power walking through water stations.
My longest distance prior was 6.2.

PLK is my only homegirl friend who also runs. She had been reminding me I needed to train, and she would ask how I was doing. I waited until after I finished to tell her about my lack of training because I knew she would scold me. Which she did. But with good reason.

A quick peek at my race attire:

3:00 am. Girlfriend was still asleep.


Yes, that is the same tutu. 1989. Vintage, betch.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! And I can't believe the farthest you ran during training was 3 miles. That is insane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, not proud of that fact...but now I have motivation to actually train and finish with a respectable time.

      Delete
  2. GAH I AM SO NERVOUS FOR MY 1/2 NOW. Longest I've run is 9.6 but I still feel like I should push harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more training you can get in, the better you will feel...but 9.6 is amazingly awesome! You will definitely be able to finish with a great time and the excitement of the race will get you through to the end.

      Delete