Sunday, February 12, 2012

Unwanted drama.

Today is the birthday of a good friend of mine. Well, he used to be a good friend of mine. I haven't spoken to him since June.

When I was a senior in college he was a freshman. Through the logistics of being an athlete he is only seven months younger than I am. There was some romantical interaction (strictly on the interaction, less so on the romantical side) between us at the end of my senior year. I visited him (and his parents) that summer and got sleep in his twin bed. with him. while his parent's slept down the hall. awk.net/
Before my senior prom. No really we had proms in college. that I should have worn spanx to.

My freshman boyfriend, as he is known to my friends and family, and I stayed in touch while he finished out the next three years of college and graduated in May. He paid me a visit in Boston when I was in grad school, I saw him at alumni weekends. He had a girlfriend throughout most of this, so it was strictly on a friend basis. We also communicated regularly through email and text. Strictly as friends.

I stress that because, in June, when I happened to be in Boston for a concert, I met up with him and his friends, who I am friendly with as well, and had a nice night out. The next day I find out  (from a mutual friend) that his girlfriend banned him from communicating with me ever again.

So I never heard back from that last text I sent him...my birthday came the next month....nothing...alumni weekend we never ended up crossing paths (if it hadn't snowed 2 feet in October I bet we would have) and now it is 2012.

Imagine my surprise when I am creeping around the 'book a few days into 2012 and I see that FBF and I are no longer friends on fbook.

Now all of this might seem trivial, but we were great friends. And while I don't particularly want to associate with people who have their significant others ban them from contact with certain individuals, a part of me is still sad.

So today I texted him: Welcome to the 25 club guy. Don't worry, I know you are prohibited from acknowledging this message

And he did reply, very shortly thereafter, with: Thank you.

To which I replied: Very welcome

Now did I want to write him a lengthy hate text that poured into multiple texts and ended up with a 7 page email from me later? Absolutely. But sometimes you have to know when to let it go. Unfortunately, I think this might be one of those times.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I have so been there! Except I was young, immature and actually did send the too long emails. Which I regret. Because I fnally realized that he was never a great friend if he would cut me off from what had been a long-time friendship at that point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a no-win situation. I would like him back as a friend, but as you said, was he ever really a great friend?

      Delete