I don't like Valentine's Day. I never have. I was in a long term relationship for five years. Didn't like Valentine's Day then. Probably never will. I am a firm believer in expressing your love and affection every single day. Not just some commercially manufactured holiday that requires stressful planning and cheesy traditions.
Because of my dislike for the holiday, I have spent my February 14ths essentially just as any other day.
Some of my favorite times were:
Junior year of college. Our first and only snow day in our collegiate career. I believe I trekked to the store to get baking supplies (I drove/drive a huge SUV) and made a sweet cake to celebrate. I'm pretty sure everyone else just drank.
Senior year of college. I lived in a townhouse with three other girls; two bedrooms. My direct roommate had her boyfriend visit and she made him dinner, with candlelight and wine (all of which she took from my friends and I- long story for another time). So the rest of us went to the bar. We danced, politely commented on judged the girls wearing shirts as dresses, and enjoyed the company of classmates. I ended up getting to share a twin bed with another roommate that night and the three of us had a nice sleepover in their room.
![]() |
| We woke up to this icy/water mess that morning. The drains were overflowing so we were forced to wade through 3 inches of water to get in or out of my townhouse. |
First year of grad school. I was living in Boston and single. My freshman boyfriend had just had a birthday and wanted to come see my apartment and go out in Boston (he was still in college). So FBF and I figured out a weekend that we were both free and he came into town...neither of us realized until he got there that it happened to be Valentine's Day. So I took him to my favorite bar and proceeded to get bombed. (Side note- I rarely, if ever, drink alcohol, so for me to get drunk it takes roughly one mixed drink or two beers). It was actually a lot of fun, even if he did make me sleep on the couch because I wouldn't stop giggling/am so annoying when intoxicated.
Valentine's Day 2010 involved a lengthy fight with a (then) ex and Valentine's Day 2011 was so unforgettable that I have zero clue what I did. I imagine it involved sweatpants, and endless episodes of NCIS. This year I will be working until 8:30 pm, after which I will promptly return home and face plant into bed.
But the best part of Valentine's Day is.........................................................
THE DAY AFTERRRRRRR (insert your best Oprah voice)
For a candy monster like myself, I love nothing more than some clearance-priced sugar in pink packaging.




omg I'm SO excited for discounted conversation hearts. and tonight? JM and I have "taco Tuesday" and NCIS. I freakin love that show.
ReplyDeletehappy TUESDAY if you're not celebrating the "holiday" :)
So jealous of taco Tuesday! But more importantly, why is Anthony DiNozzo a fictional character and not my boyfriend?
Delete