Monday, February 20, 2012

Cold as ice.

I completely forgot that this weekend was considered a holiday weekend, as I have to work today. My good friend who lives in the city came home for the long weekend and brought her *new* boyfriend. I love meeting new significant others of my friends, and I even have a little test to figure out whether they will fit in with our friend group. The first part of the test is to say something wildly inappropriate within 5 minutes of introductions and gauge their reaction. Points are added if they interact with all members of the group, don't have a puss on their face, and genuinely seem like they are having a good time. The last part of the test is to mess with them and see if they can take it, give it back, or don't pay attention enough and get confused. I am a very good read of character and I will typically decided within minutes of meeting someone if I will like them. He passed the test with flying colors, spending time in a dive bar with all girls, andddd the next night he did movie night with us, with only mild protest.

Friday night we went to a bar. Blah. I hate going out to bars in the city where I went to high school (I went to a private school that pulled from over 20 different cities and towns, so no matter where you are in my area, you will probably find someone you know/knew). I actually really don't like going "out." I am perfectly content to stay home and chat, watch a movie, or play a game. Plus, I'm not as young as I used to be, and that whole going out at 11 to go home at 4am thing doesn't quite work for me anymore.



We played Memory before we went out. Legit, real deal, 80s, vintage Memory. I won and then obviously had to sort the cards out by category.


Thankfully we had a table and I was able to post up in the corner seat so I could see everyone walking by out the huge window and everyone walking into the bar. On one of my creeper peeks out the window I noticed a friend of a friend. He is a friend of FMP, and I have been at social gatherings with him since high school. I immediately called dibs to my friends (he is really cute and you always have to call dibs) and he greeted the table with lots of affection (but I called dibs betches). Turns out he had been at a wedding and had indulged. I love being the only sober one around intoxicated people, you learn so much (and you remember it). He begins to tell me that yes he had been drinking, but....he had asked FMP about me a long time ago, back in high school, but I was dating that kid. (yes I did, for 5 years) but now I always look like I am miserable.

He said to me, "I don't think you ever smile."



Which is actually somewhat true.


On Saturday night I went out to dinner with PLK and her younger sister and they staged a mini intervention on the car ride home. Essentially I put up a tough exterior (the whole no smiling thing) and appear very closed off to people (most people are dumb though) and maybe if I changed my outward demeanor, I could be more receptive to new experiences. (re: maybe going on my first date before I turn 40).



Goals of 2012: Smile more. and go on a date.

No comments:

Post a Comment