I am not too big on abbreviations. People who talk exclusively in abbrevs are exclusively tools in my opinion. Obvi is convenient and succinct but when you say totes I am confused as to whether you mean a canvas bag or totally. But, I do like using certain words or expressions that may convey a different meaning. For example, the word luff. It is a sailing term but I despise sailing. Why would I spent all my time doing work when I am supposed to be enjoying my time on the water. My sister, she luffs sailing. But I digress...for me, luff is a word that is somewhere around love and like. It is a more endearing term to use to refer to something that you really do love. For example, I luff puppies. If you ever visit the computer section of a Staples or Office Max after I've been there, you will see I luff puppies on all of the monitors : )
My sister and I have even brainwashed my father into using our made-up slang. When we want to stress the importance of something, such as someone being a huge jerk, they are being a jerkski cum laude. If you are being a real huge jerk, you are a jerkski magna cum laude. We have even combined our favorite abbreviation, obvi, with our made-up slang, cum laude, to get, obvski cum laudski, to be used when something is blatantly obvious.
We are weird, I know. But it really funny to hear your father call you a jerkski cum laude and wonder if he ever slips up and uses it at work.
"There's a difference between like and love. I like my sketchers but I love my Prada backpack." "But I love my sketchers." "That's because you don't have a Prada backpack."
No comments:
Post a Comment