I have zero wife skills. Zero. I usually can manage not burning the house down (I did set a plate on fire cooking an egg in college), but I like to be supervised in the kitchen. For the safety of myself and those that will eventually consume the food I make.
I was invited to a potluck dinner last Thursday night for a few women in my department. I had all sorts of questions such as, Do I really have to go? What if I poison my boss? What will I talk about? What do I wear? Is this some initiation? Will we play light as a feather, stiff as a board? Why are only certain members of our department invited? Is this like a popular thing? Will I get to sit at the cool table on Friday? What if they don't like me?
The entire week I was freaking out but Thursday morning I had to face the music and begin my occupation of the kitchen. I have a few fail safe dishes that I know I can make and no one will die post consumption.
One area where I seem to excel is baking. I know this makes zero sense because baking is chemistry and I have math anxiety and baking is harder than cooking AND BLAH BLAH BLAH. I don't eat meat so for me to cook you a chicken dish means I will wear plastic gloves and a mask and probably burn it. Enjoy : )
My go-to items to bring to parties are red velvet cookies and raspberry squares. And let's be honest, I use a mix and have no fancy tweaks or inspiring garnishes to share with you.
Read box, mix ingredients, pray to the convection gods that I don't give anyone a gastrointestinal illness.
Spinach and Strawberry salad seems to be a big hit anytime I make it. Plus I love it so this ensures I always have something to eat. I bring Annie's Balsamic Vinaigrette to pair with the delicious spinach.
I hate tomatoes, but I know many people like them, so I compromise and bring side dishes for add-ins to the salad. Buffalo Wing Cheddar is my b*tch lover and while I shouldn't eat it,
IT TASTES SO GOOD.
My womp womp hostess gift. I forgot to grab flowers when I was out running errands so I had to stop at a grocery store on my way, wrap the bouquet in ribbon in my car, and awkwardly hold them in my claw hand to take a glorious picture for you.
I am happy to report all parties are in good health and I received many compliments on my baked goods. Woo woo suck it, Martha.




Nice work!!! The fun thing about "potluck" in Manhattan is that it usually just means "bring wine"
ReplyDeleteThanks girl! Bringing wine would actually cause more anxiety for me. Unless I had to someone pick it out for me. I just need a servant...
Delete